21 May 2013

Increase in Faith....

Ok, so this is going to be a pretty spiritual post...I pondered for a while about sharing this on my blog, but it has made a major impact on my life, so here goes.  
     I have always had a great faith in prayer my entire life, however, in the past couple of years my faith has struggled in whether prayer was really worth it. I know that is a drastic description, but that's the best way to express my feelings concerning it.  I have had so many friends and family with so many struggles and I always kept a prayer in my heart.  Things always seem to work out and I had created a mind set of "why do I really need to do the action when the Lord works in His own time anyway"?  I know this is not a positive, faithful practice and thus, the Lord chose to teach me.  A few weeks ago I received a message in the middle of the night (darn time difference) from my husband asking  to find a file that he needed.  He didn't know what computer it was on or if he had put it on a disc and if he did put it on a disc where the disc would be located.  Frustration was beginning on both sides as I didn't know where else to look and wasn't particularly listening to him tell me where he thought it might be.  He returned to work and I continued to look for the file.  Earlier that day I had copied some pictures for a friend to a disc and had noticed a disc separated from the unused discs in the CD package.  After looking for about 15 more minutes this other disc came to my mind again.  I chanced it and put it in the computer and the file he had needed was on it!  I had no way to contact him other than attempting to email and message him, but I figured he would not check them.  So, I actively got to my knees and expressed my feelings, frustrations and needs to my Heavenly Father out loud.  I specifically asked that Vic would feel prompted to check his messages so he would know that I had found what he needed.  I climbed back into bed, not hopeful and upset.  As the tears got heavier my phone rang loudly and my testimony of ACTIVE prayer was strengthened.  He had gotten my message and I could sleep soundly knowing he got what he needed.  Unknowingly I had been prepared to find that disc by seeing it earlier and it being stuck in my mind that it was separate from the unused discs.
      How quickly we forget the lessons we learn....My feelings of the action of prayer crossed my mind often as I faced another thought that would not leave my mind for the last month.  I had sent my husband a package a few days after he left and it never got to him.  I sent him another one a week a later and he received it within a week.  I was constantly bothered by him not receiving his first package and the thought often crossed my mind to pray about it, but I would merely lay in bed and say a prayer in my heart and hope for the best.  Once again the Lord was teaching me.  Finally, I gave in last night....sad to put it that way, but I should have listened the first time I had the prompting to pray about it.  I got on my knees and once again talked to my Heavenly Father about feelings, desires, shortcomings, and needs.  I usually keep my prayers very proper, like if I were saying the prayer in a meeting......however, these two instances I spoke WITH my Heavenly Father, like He was in the room and listening intently. I asked specifically if someone would be prompted to find Vic's package if lost or misplaced.  God listened intently and then answered. It was found misplaced in a wrong container, upon inventory being made of the container it was found and got to him! I truly feel God has taught me that action draws more action, especially when we are taught to actively ask for His help through this earthly experience.  Laying in bed and having a prayer in your heart is great, but to physically voice your concerns, thankfulness, and needs to God is really what He desires of us.  I struggle in many spiritual ways and I have my many ups and downs in my testimony, but I am so very grateful for a loving Heavenly Father that will answer our prayers if we are actively asking for His help.  I am thankful everyday that God knows the desires of my heart and loves past my imperfections and not so great choices!

2 comments:

slambert said...

Great inspiring post.
Thanks for sharing.
Aunt Sue

Carlia said...

What a great post Marion! Thank you for sharing these experiences! Not only do they build your testimony, but they build mine too! I know that Heavenly Father wants to help us in our lives; sometimes all we need to do is ask, and then act.