05 March 2009

Black eye, ear infection and remembering the families...

This week has been an interesting one.
Monday, I was trying to go through old paper work and file new paper work...bills. The filing cabinet is in Allaunna's room because it is still partly an office. So, as I am paying attention to papers I turn around to a crying baby under a wooden chair. I freak out and then I freak out more when I lifted the chair and saw the blood under her eye where the chair scratched her. One of those, "I am the worst mom in the world!" feelings came over me. Allaunna is fine, thankfully and the mean chair gets dirty looks everytime I walk in the room.
THE ROTTEN EVIL CHAIR
ALLAUNNA FOUR DAYS LATER, the bruise is still visible under her eye...


Daniel woke up Monday morning with a fever of 101.4. He stayed home Monday and Tuesday, went to school Wednesday and I decided it was time to go to the doc when his temp went back up last night. I was very afraid it was the flu when his teacher called this morning after I sent in a note. She had said that there were four other children out this week with the flu. Thankfully, but unfortunately it wasn't the flu, it is infection in both of his ears. So, hopefully he will get well soon.

While I was sitting with him at the doctor's office, a young woman with a toddler came into the office. She sat down and began talking on the phone. You could tell from the converstation that she was on the phone with her husband. Then she began to cry and the conversation turned very familair of a wife who's husband was over seas. I usually don't eaves drop on others converstation, but I know what it's like to be in her shoes. When she ended the conversation with "Please be careful" in such a desperate way, I knew. As she hung up, she let the tears flow. I almost started crying for her as my tears began to swell as the memories of my own moments began to return in my mind. I wanted to give her a hug, but I'm on the verge of sickness so I didn't want to get her sick. As I watched her little girl give her a hug, I almost lost it then. I waited until she had calmed down a bit and struck up a conversation with "is your husband in the service?". We talked a few minutes and I was trying to hold back my own emotion as I related to her situation for a moment. Everyone has a different situation in particular, but every wife of a service member that has deployed knows the rush of emotion that comes with the deployment of a spouse. It has been a few years for me, but no one forgets how it was. As they called Daniel back I left her with some well wishes and she thanked me for "taking off the edge". But my thought was to thank her for reminding me of all those I love and miss who have soldiers that they are missing! I pray for this young woman and all my friends who serve their soldiers well at home! I love you all!

1 comment:

Ariane said...

I can totally relate. I bonked my daughter's head yesterday as I was putting her in the swing. Sometimes I think I'm too clumsy and absent minded to be a mom.
And I cry when I see army commercials, even when Matt is home. It brings out a lot of emotions.